Saturday, September 20, 2008

Busy, busy days

Well, our week in Ukraine is beginning to wind down. Thursday was our last day of bible school, and our last day of work in Perechyn. The weather has been most uncooperative – it’s rained every day, and seems to be getting colder as the week progresses. Despite the rain and the cold, however, we have managed to continue the work of building relationships among the members of the Ukrainian Methodist Churches in this area. On Thursday, several of the members of the Perechyn church came to observe the last day of bible school. One of them, in particular, is a gentleman that we visited in his home last year. He was in the building talking with Gene, but as soon as I walked past his face lit up. He remembered me!! It was extraordinary. We talked about the work that is being done (with the aid of an interpreter, of course) and the visions for the church. He asked if I was coming back next year. I told him I would like to, but that we will see what God has in store for me.
The caretaker of the church, Misha, told me that they would be able to find me a young, handsome husband if I wanted to move to Ukraine! I thanked him for the offer, and told him that I don’t need a husband! But, that it’s good to know that I have a home here should I ever need one.
Friday was supposed to be our last work day, but instead we were treated to a personal tour of the Uzhhorod Castle by Sergei, a nice walk around the outdoor folk museum, and lunch with Vasilly. Sergei says, “With Vova, you work. With Sergei, you have fun!” And fun we had. I cannot say enough how generous and giving of themselves our hosts are.

If anything, everyone has learned two things this week. And they are very important lessons, I think! The first is who the boss is (me!). The second is that said boss is always right! And, I have the pictures to prove it... :)

No comments: